New captain at Curragh
Wednesday 04 May 2016
AFTER more than a decade as managing director of Wesfarmers Resources, Stewart Butel will retire at the end of this financial year.
Responsibility for the Curragh mine near Blackwater will then be handed over to Craig McCabe, who is currently General Manager at the mine. However, Mr McCabe won’t rise to the status of Managing Director, instead taking the title of Chief Operating Officer and answering to Rob Scott, Managing Director of the Wesfarmers Industrials division.
Mr McCabe has been General Manager of Curragh since 2012 and had more than 15 years’ experience at Curragh in a variety of roles. He holds a Bachelor of Engineering (Mining), a Bachelor of Science (Geoscience) and a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration.
Wesfarmers Managing Director Richard Goyder said Mr Butel had made an enormous contribution to the growth of the Resources business following the acquisition of the Curragh mine in 2000.
He was appointed Managing Director of Wesfarmers Premier Coal in 2002 and Director Coal Operations for Wesfarmers Energy in 2005.
“The strong cash generation from Curragh, under Stewart’s leadership, significantly contributed to our ability to finance the purchase of the Coles Group in 2007. As conditions have become tougher for coal, Stewart and his team have implemented a major cost control and productivity program which has ensured both Curragh and Bengalla remain world-scale, low-cost mines with long mine lives,” Mr Goyder said.
- Blackwater miners redundant Wednesday 22 March 2017
- Twiggy into coal? Wednesday 01 March 2017
- Mining leases EA approved Wednesday 15 February 2017
- Even owner didn’t see it coming Wednesday 18 January 2017
- 2017 at a glance - Coking Coal Wednesday 11 January 2017
- First three months looking good Wednesday 21 December 2016
- Water crisis in coal towns Wednesday 14 December 2016
- Council gets serious about rates Thursday 01 December 2016
- Council prepare for housing crisis Thursday 01 December 2016
- $7m coalfields contract out to tender Wednesday 30 November 2016