More wins for Mackay
Contractor continues to add to order book and head count
Wednesday 16 August 2017
Mackay based listed mining services contractor Mastermyne continues to see a major improvement in market conditions, announcing two significant work contracts in the last fortnight.
This week the company has secured a $33 million contract at the Whitehaven Coal owned Narrabri mine for the development of roadways, and some setup works for conveyor installations.
The work will commence in October and employ 55 people full-time through until mid-2019.
Importantly for Mastermyne, the project includes the deployment of another of their continuous miners - meaning three have now been put to work this year. More than 80% of their underground mining fleet is now working.
Mastermyne CEO Tony Caruso says he hopes the contract is the start of a longer term relationship with Whitehaven.
“We are very pleased to have secured this new project, and we are looking forward to building a strong working relationship with Whitehaven’s Narrabri Coal operations,” he said.
“This project builds on the already very strong order book we have for FY2018 with further opportunities still in the pipeline.”
It follows on from a $20 million deal announced last week to supply around 130 more people to South 32 at the Appin Colliery in NSW, bringing their total contract workforce at the mine to around 280.
Mastermyne flagged the recovery this year in February when the company announced new and expanded contracts with Peabody, Anglo, Rio Tinto and the Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal.
“We are well advanced mobilising the recent project wins as well as increasing our workforce numbers on our existing contracts,” Mastermyne CEO, Tony Caruso said at the time.
“Our employee numbers are expected to exceed 800 full-time staff by the end of the financial year, and the utilisation of our mining fleet is returning to historical levels.”