Last new hope
Miner pledges to continue to fight for stage 3 expansion.
Wednesday 07 June 2017
New Hope Coal has pledged to continue fighting for the approval of its New Acland Stage three mine expansion in Southern Queensland, despite the Land Court recommending they not be granted mining leases last week.
Newhope says it's currently reviewing the court findings and hopes it can convince the State Government to override the court's decision.
“The Queensland Minister for Natural Resources and Mines and the Chief Executive of the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection are the final decision makers,” New Hope said.
“They will consider all relevant matters in making their decisions regarding the granting of the Mining Leases and Environmental Authority Amendment.
“The New Acland mine currently has 782 employees and contractors and supports many additional businesses and suppliers.
“During the peak construction phase of Stage 3, it is expected that over 1000 employees and contractors will be required.
“The livelihoods of these people and their families depend on the continuation of the mine, and the approval of the Stage 3 operation would provide employment stability for many years to come.
“New Hope remains committed to delivering the New Acland Stage 3 project and will actively progress this project through the final stages of approval.”