Glenden project sits with government
Wednesday 12 October 2016
Qcoal’s proposed $1.7 billion Byerwen Coal project near Glenden is in a holding pattern, while it waits for its mining leases to be approved by the State Government.
It’s been almost two years exactly since the project received Federal Government environmental approval, and a spokesperson for the company told Shift Miner they are doing what they can until they finalise their mining lease application.
“We are continuing to proceed with infrastructure for the Byerwen project and are still awaiting grant of the remaining mine leases,” the spokesperson said.
Qcoal recently completed the earthworks required for the construction of a rail loop and bridge to the mine and has been working through the design phase of its Coal Handling and Preparation Plant. They won't start building the CHPP until they get their mining leases.
The decision to push forward with the project - through the cyclical downturn - is a strong endorsement of coal’s future by the company's owner Chris Wallin.
The first of the mining leases required for the Byerwen Coal Project was received in April 2015. Stage 1 of the project is expected to create up to 100 jobs during construction and employ approximately 300 people during operation.
At full production, Qcoal expects the mine will produce 10 million tonnes of hard coking coal a year and be a major part of their plan to export 20 million tonnes of coal by 2020.
The mine would have a life of at least 50 years, depending on what further drilling of the deposit reveals.
- Rich lister targets CQ mine Wednesday 22 February 2017
- Miner plans to expand in 2018 Wednesday 01 February 2017
- Major CQ coal project Wednesday 04 January 2017
- Shock departure at Stanmore Wednesday 07 December 2016
- Miner to nearly triple minelife Wednesday 02 November 2016
- Byerwen back to drawing board? Wednesday 19 October 2016
- Can it last? Wednesday 07 September 2016
- More than just the headline Wednesday 08 June 2016
- Officially opened Wednesday 18 May 2016
- Glenden miner ready for next step Wednesday 11 May 2016