Best Xmas in years
Wednesday 21 December 2016
Optimism is the one word that best describes the mood among members of the Resource Industry Network (RIN) in Mackay going into 2017, according to Deputy Chairman David Hartigan from Field Engineers.
For years, the confidence of businesses exposed to the coal sector has been slowly eroded by the biggest correction in the coal industry ever, but also by a huge and coordinated public attack on the value of coal to the world.
However, the surprise massive price rally in the last three months has galvanised the local mining support sector who will go into the Christmas break feeling reasonably good about the future.
“In a single word we are optimistic,” RIN Deputy Chairman David Hartigan told Shift Miner.
“Not just from a Mackay perspective, but also from the bigger picture of coal’s value to the world.
“It’s just great to see coal back, after years of so much negative press about the industry from people with vested interests.
“But coal is back, and it's pretty clear how important it is to the world economy.”
While he says, no one has forgotten the lessons of the last five years; he thinks most people can see a sustainable future, providing they can keep a handle on costs, and help keep the Australian coal sector in the lowest cost quartile.
“For the first time in years our members are going into the Christmas break feeling pretty good about the new year, that’s certainly how we are feeling,” he said.
“We are quite busy through Christmas and January which is in stark contrast to the last few years.
“I don't know anyone who doesn’t think there will be good demand for our services, providing everyone keeps control of their costs.
“We can’t get carried away like things did during the mining boom, and if we can do that the industry will remain strong into the future.”
- Tailwind for local mining Wednesday 22 March 2017
- Where’s your head at? Wednesday 15 March 2017
- No bill paid on time Wednesday 15 February 2017
- Local business shouldn’t carry big Wednesday 15 February 2017
- First three months looking good Wednesday 21 December 2016
- Better 3 months for Mastermyne Wednesday 23 November 2016
- Don’t bet the farm yet Wednesday 19 October 2016
- Steve Bradbury in the room? Wednesday 21 September 2016
- 15% wage cut approved by Fair Work Tuesday 30 August 2016
- Dozens of jobs in doubt Tuesday 30 August 2016