Bad as it’s been
Thursday 24 November 2016
Long time Blackwater residents are saying the current run of crime in the town, is as bad as anyone can remember, with Police reporting everything from petty theft to Graffiti in the last month.
So far this month, a blue bicycle has been stolen from a yard on Bendee Crescent, a business on Blain Street has been graffitied, a 24-year-old male has been charged with public nuisance and banned from all licensed premises in Blackwater for 10 days, fishing equipment was stolen from a dwelling on Myall Street, and an 18-year-old female has been charged with driving without due care and attention after a crash on Andurad Road.
The crime spree is despite a warning by police a fortnight ago, asking Blackwater residents to lock their cars and homes and keep an eye out for criminal behaviour.
“It appears that the majority of offences are opportunistic, whereby offenders are gaining access to vehicles which are unlocked," Police said.
"While nobody has the right to enter somebody else’s vehicle whether it be locked or unlocked, the community can reduce their chances of being a victim of crime by locking their cars.
“Blackwater Police are concerned about the number of people reporting and discussing crimes or suspicious activity within social media, and not alerting local police.
“Recently, suspicious people that were loitering near residences were reported within local groups on social media networking sites.
“It is possible these individuals had just committed an offence, were considering committing an offence, or possibly had no ill intentions whatsoever, but by the time local police are advised of these incidents, the suspicious people may have left the area and may have committed several offences.”
“Therefore if you see suspicious behaviour before you post on social media please consider contacting your local police.”
- Blackwater miners redundant Wednesday 22 March 2017
- Even owner didn’t see it coming Wednesday 18 January 2017
- Water crisis in coal towns Wednesday 14 December 2016
- Council gets serious about rates Thursday 01 December 2016
- Council prepare for housing crisis Thursday 01 December 2016
- Careers for best of the best Thursday 24 November 2016
- Blackwater resident recognised Thursday 24 November 2016
- Another mine on the market Wednesday 16 November 2016
- Discrimination a threat to FIFO laws Thursday 10 November 2016
- Old School policing in Blackwater Thursday 10 November 2016