Adani court challenges lining up
Wednesday 15 June 2016
The total number of court appeals pending against Adani’s Carmichael mine project in the Galilee Basin has reached five, with yet another appeal lodged late last week.
According to the Queensland Resources Council, Adani has been involved in court appeals and the mine approval process for more than five years, while GVK Hancock, which also wants to build a mega-mine in the Galilee, has been negotiating approvals and court challenges since 2008.
QRC Chief Executive Michael Roche calls the legal action “lawfare” and says the government needs to intervene.
“The Adani project has been wading through approval and court appeals for 68 months, while GVK Hancock is in its 93rd month, having formally entered the process on 18 September 2008,” he said.
“ Both have been held up by a relentless barrage of ‘lawfare.'
“GVK Hancock was back in court last week, an appeal against Adani’s environmental authority was lodged late Friday, New Hope will be in the land court from March to July, the list goes on...
“The Queensland Government must urgently overhaul the process that enables green activists to disrupt and delay projects, thus stifling jobs and investment for the state.
“Governments both state and federal should be doing all they can to prevent the blatant abuse of the court systems to the detriment of Queensland jobs.”
Just under a fortnight ago the owner of Adani, Indian billionaire Gautam Adani told Australian media he would consider abandoning his $16 billion Galilee projects if they could not get some certainty on time frames.
Mr Adani told the Australian he was disappointed the “pit to plug’’ project had yet to receive the green light after six years of environmental assessments and court battles.
“You can’t continue just holding,’’ he said.
“I have been really disappointed that things have got too delayed.’’
“We were asking how we get certainty of the time schedules … that is the most important for us in committing all of our resources.’’
- Moranbah, Galilee big winners Wednesday 15 March 2017
- 1000 jobs and no railway required? Wednesday 01 March 2017
- Senators to decide Adani Wednesday 22 February 2017
- Key port upgrade Wednesday 15 February 2017
- 31 apprentices start work today. Wednesday 08 February 2017
- Rio sells out of coal Wednesday 25 January 2017
- Adani Carmichael v Coal & Allied Wednesday 25 January 2017
- 2017 at a glance - Thermal Coal Wednesday 11 January 2017
- Mixed signals for Adani Wednesday 21 December 2016
- You’re welcome Wednesday 14 December 2016