30 year mine life & 500 jobs.
Wednesday 15 March 2017
The Baralaba South Coal Project (BSCP) is back on the table this week, after the project’s new owners Baralaba Coal released a revised draft Terms of Reference (TOR) for public comment.
The BSCP was formerly owned by the now-defunct Cockatoo Coal which went into administration in 2015. Before the mining downturn, Cockatoo had got as far as having the Baralaba South Coal Project’s TOR finalised, however when financial troubles hit, they stopped investment in the project, meaning the TOR expired and became void by 2014.
However, with a more optimistic coal outlook, and BSCP’s new owners free of the major take or pay contracts that ultimately crippled Cockatoo Coal, they're looking to get the project going again.
According to government submissions, the BSCP would be an open cut pit connected to the existing mine infrastructure at the soon-to-be-operating Baralaba North Coal mine by a forty kilometre haul road.
Notable elements of the proposed Baralaba South Coal Project, are the construction of an expanded Coal Handling & Preparation Plant, workshops, fuel and chemical depot, as well as the realignment of approximately 6 kilometres of the Theodore-Baralaba Road.
Baralaba Coal says it wants to start building the mine in the next two years.
“The construction of the mine is scheduled to commence in 2019 following receipt of necessary approvals,” they said in the project's initial advice statement.
“It’s expected to take approximately 6 to 12 months to establish the necessary infrastructure, with production to commence in 2020.“The majority of both the construction and operational workforce will be sourced from the local area, and where a non-local workforce is required, accommodation for workers can be provided at the existing Baralaba Caravan Park accommodation camp or in the local rental market.”
- Garland makes a return to CQ Tuesday 17 January 2017
- Miner sets reopening timeline Wednesday 23 November 2016
- Cockatoo sets timeline for operations Wednesday 29 June 2016
- Cockatoo miner payday Wednesday 04 May 2016
- Payday tomorrow? Wednesday 27 April 2016
- 7 days at least for payday detail Thursday 21 April 2016
- Cockatoo not to take - or pay Wednesday 09 March 2016
- Hope for Baralaba mine Wednesday 24 February 2016
- Miner into administration Wednesday 18 November 2015
- Baralaba miners face month of uncertaint Wednesday 14 October 2015